Friday, January 8, 2010

The One In Which She Vows to Go From Flab to FAB !**

** alternative title could be "What I did on my winter vacation"






So we had a remarkably unremarkable winter break.  Went to the movies , a few play dates, shared some holiday celebrations with friends.  Slept in.  Wore my uniform everyday (read: stretchy pants).  Thanksfully we live in Southern California and save for two days out of 14 - our weather was play outside-able.  Mighty fine.      

But unlike a lot of you , other than the sleeping late part of winter vacation- I missed the routine of the routine and was excited to get my kids off to school this week.

This is the time of year when everyone is jumping on the Resolution Band Wagon - and Swirl Girl is no different. In fact as a family - we celebrated New Year's Eve by playing Resolution Pictionary .  We made sort of a family contract listing things we all could do to make our family successful (read: happier, less stressed = less yelling!)

In order to be successful
We want to do the following:

1. Pay attention to your surroundings  (which is a nice way of saying don't be such a klutz!)
2. Keep your room clean! (which is a nice way of saying ...mommy doesn't like the clutter!)
3. Listen to each other (which is a nice way of stop finishing other's sentences)
4. Make your bed
5. Set the table (which is a nice way of saying - help mommy out!)
6. Pick up your mess (kitchen, toys, ect.)
7. Accept responsibilities for our actions (which is a nice way of saying punishment will fit the crime)
8. Take care of our bodies (which is a nice way of saying brush your teeth without me reminding you!)
9. Put away your clothes when they are clean (which is a nice way of saying I ain't doin' it anymore)
10. Put yourself in other people’s place (= empathy!!)
11. Treat others the way you want to be treated (oh, the Golden Rule...right?)
12. Think before you speak or act (Which is a nice way of saying no more Ready, Shoot, Aim!)


 We typed it all up after the doodling - and put in an 8x10 frame and it hangs proudly in the house.
So far, a whole week into it, we are doing just so-so .  Mommy just has to say #12, or "Did you #4 today?"
We're all about code words here. 

And I have my own personal list of Wants for this new year. 

1) Exercise Daily
2) Read more for pleasure
3) Monetize her life
4) Try to fill my ubiquitous Glass Half Empty attitude (adjusting my A).  In other words - I am gonna lighten the fluck UP!

I can still be funny and snarky without being so dark and gloomy all the time.  (IthinkIcan, IthinkIcan.)
I want what everyone else seems to have.  Or if they don't have it...they just pretend better than me.  And I want to learn how to do that. 


I am joining a group of like minded women on a project spearheaded by Linda Sellers of Short Pump Preppy called 52 to Fabulous.  The key to this challenge is the support.  I started my personal training sessions at the gym yesterday.  I want to not be totally grossed out by my nekkid body.  I don't expect to be sporting a bikini this summer - not that that wouldn't suck, but when your 5 year old tells you that you look like your gonna have a baby - it's time to shift gears. 

I wonder what the next best thing is going to be? In this world of insti-grat (that's instant gratification for you tweeters who don't want to use up too many characters)because if I could invent it...Hhhhmmmmm  that would surely help me monetize my life. 

So I am giving myself a realistic 52 weeks to go from Flabulous to Fabulous!!  Who's with me?? 
Anyone?  Anyone?  Buehler??



17 comments:

Cristin said...

I didn't make any resolutions... but I have found myself exercising almost every day, and eating less crap. Don't worry, it won't last.

I'll have to check out this 52 to Fabulous thing...

Ash said...

Me!

I've packed on 13 pounds in the last 3 months - not good. I started Wii Fit Plus this week - 30/day. With a 3-year-old, my grandious dreams of the gym have to wait.

It's all good.

And an apple a day. Seriously. This is the longest I've been able to keep a resolution.

Here's to Fabulousness!!

Fannie said...

Lordy I am TERRIBLE with the resolutions!

JenJen said...

Hmph.
shit that's a long time.
Is there anything I can do say, 5 minutes a day?
:)

Unknown said...

I love how you had family resolutions. Good way of everyone working together.

I'm looking forward to using my Wii Fit Plus as well.

Linda S said...

You totally rock! Can you be more fabulous? We'll see!! Thanks for playing along!

for a different kind of girl said...

I'm staring at a giant basket of laundry that hasn't been put away in a week and a house that is seriously in need of cleaning, and what I want to do right now is to push aside some space on the mantel and put up a frame that includes many of your same family resolutions because that is one awesome idea! Good luck with them AND your personal goals. I do think having them down in writing to refer to is a great idea, especially because all you have to do when chaos creeps up is point to the number and walk away!

Justine said...

I'm not hopping on your resolution bandwagon, but I do love what you and the kids did together. Can't wait to hear you a few weeks from now. Nope, we threw out #3. Yep, #5 wasn't working either...

Justine :o )

MommaKiss said...

"I want what everyone else seems to have. Or if they don't have it...they just pretend better than me. And I want to learn how to do that. "

AMEN SISTAH!

I'm going to check out the project. And, um, hi. :)

Mariah said...

I skipped the resolutions this year... I gave up chocolate a while ago, I think that should do for a few years!! Not chocolate ice cream though.... :)

Desiree @ Writing to Sanity said...

Welcome to the challenge!! I'll be right there, too.

Anonymous said...

I started exercising and watching my carbs. So far so good! I like the number quality of your list - just being able to say, "12 guys remember 12" sounds so much better than "Clean your room or set the table."

Have a wonderful day!

Kim said...

I hate resolutions! And by hate them I mean that I have a really hard time sticking to them. I do love your idea of making them as a family and then putting them up for a little reminder here and there. But I really like the idea of stretching it out through the year. At least then if I slack a little here I can pick that up a little there! Now I just need to commit!

jonewman said...

Good luck with the exercise...Mine is to do one big event a month (Like a 10k)...This way I will always be training which in turn will mean I'm always exercising...It's worth a try! Stopping by from SITS!

Missy said...

I love the resolution pictionary idea!

I too have jumped on the healthier life bandwagon.

Stopping in from SITS.

MrsMonicaLB said...

Still havent made my list,but I like yours!
stopping by from SITS

Anonymous said...

HI: I am at a different computer sending you good luck with your new project of getting gorgeous. Hope all is well. Fancy Nancy