Monday, June 23, 2008

Monday. Monday - (bah, da, bah da da da )

It was hot here this weekend. Africa Hot. (but it's a dry heat). I love this weather. I know I am supposed to be like the countless others who complain about it- but I can't complain. Much to my chagrin and miserly pocketbook - we turned on the A/C for the past few days. I think when the inside temperature reaches 88 degrees, it's time to give in and cool the place down. When you are hot, thank god you can turn on A/C. When your kids are hot, put them in water. Outdoor sprinkler, swimming pool, a cool bath- whatever is handy at the moment. Needless to say, we did all of that this weekend.

Now that Rachel seems to have overcome her leetle problem, we had a pool party on Friday (read: sandwiches at the pool with a little friend and her mom). We were there from 11:30 to 3:30...in the water. Last summer, Rachel was 'playing' in the water. This year, she is swimming. Full on actual swimming. Diving in, holding breath , coming up for more air, touching off from the walls and pool bottom, swimming across the pool, floating on her back - the whole 9 yards. I am no longer relegated to sitting in the pool on the steps trying to avoid the splashing of toddler whose "I can swim" switch has not yet turned on. I can, if I want to, sit in a chair and just keep a watchful eye in case she gets in a pickle. I have waited a long time for this....aaaah.

We also escaped the swelter by going to the movies on Saturday afternoon. Kung-Fu Panda. It was cute, if not a little gratuitously violent. I got a kick out of the uproarious laughter coming from the boys in the theater. They are wired differently, I swear. My kids spent the time trying to figure out if the eyelashes on the little praying mantis meant that it was a girl praying mantis - while the boys in the theater were practicing their Kung Ful 'hiiiii yahs' from their seats. The good thing about this movie, was that a few of the lead 'hero' characters were female - and not anamorphized feminine female heros. No wiggly walks or waistlines and boobs (like the penguin movie where the penguins sing Prince songs and the lead penguin is suspiciously effeminate (not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you). They were heroic and equal. Good message for the boys and girls in the audience. The bad thing about the movie was that there is an overwhelming 'revenge on thy master' theme....maybe only adults with a conscience (or fear of reprisal and retribution) would have noticed it...what does that say about me?

It was so freakin' hot this weekend that when we had to walk across the huge parking lot to our car...we wound our way in and out of stores for some A/C relief. One of those stores was a huge Barnes and Noble. The first floor was jam packed with people sitting everywhere (anywhere there was space) reading the paper or a magazine. I would call it loitering, really. For all I know they were pretending to read just to get out of the blazing sun. In fact, I am sure I caught a few dozers there. I am sure the powers that be at Barnes and Noble like the fact that their store is busy - but I don't think people actually buy the 'free' read that they are sweating all over. Sure, they may invest a couple of bucks in an iced latte - but actually spend money on something literary? Something other than US or Elle or Cosmo?? Why bother when you can read it for free in the lobby of your local book store? Pony up folks- when I do actually buy the magazine, I don't want your pre-read dogeared sweaty page rippled copy - not me! I need me some fresh posters on my wall thank you Tiger Beat!!

I also went to the grocery store on Saturday. Now, not a trip goes on there without some kind of blog-worthy experience. Today was no exception. Remember that little gnarly club card dangling from my keychain that I had ordered a new one of months ago??? Well, now the store has changed its program. So- I have a brand new sleek shiny dangly thing to gnarl up! And, after spending $278 on groceries this week (most of it edible or drinkable) - the bagger actually said this:
Bagger to cashier "wow, like people actually spend $278 on food?"
Cashier to bagger "yup, people do, can you believe it . But she's only 222 points away from a $5 coupon!"
Me to both " What, do you still live with your mamas? did you actually say that??
What are you, like 15? Do you eat your mama's food with that mouth?"
(not that what they said was so bad, I just need to pick on young stupid people once in a while)

Bagger helped the old crotchety lady outside with her two carts of groceries and ran.


We love to sing around here. All kinds of songs. We put household phrases to music. Like my
sister before me - I have taught the girls their phone number to the tune of "Camp Town Races sing this song doo-dah, doo-dah. They know their phone numbers by heart. The trick is now that they sing it only in emergencies and not to anyone who will listen. Another fave is the old song "Anna Anna Bo Banna Banana Fanna Fo Fanna, Mi My Mo Manna, Anna" They like to sing peoples names as well as inanimate objects to the rhyming song. One that really cracks them up is Daddy - (you're singing it to yourselves, now - aren't you? ) Yes - it's the Banana Fanna Fo Faddy part that cracks them up. Emily thinks we should say Father Father Bo Bahther if for no other reason than to save Daddy some dignity. I say "aah, he lost that a long time ago". ...Rachel wants the Fo Faddy part left in. It was decided that we would change it to Father when he was around, and when he wasn't - we're going the faddy way. So, we are driving around and the girls and singing out things to the tune (car, car bo bar.../ car wash , car wash bo bar wash...get the picture?) and Rachel sees a truck. You guessed it...for the next two hours, at the PTA treasurers home so I could co-sign a check, at the pharmacy, at the dentist office she sang loud and proud "Truck, Truck bo Buck, Banana Fanna Fo Fuck, Mi My mo Muck - Truck!" It's hard not to laugh...and I did. Torn between pointing out the dirty word (and thus making it more enticing to say )and just letting it go until the thrill wears off - I opted for the latter.

Monday , Monday - Can't trust that day!

9 comments:

Backpacking Dad said...

Tarzan couldn't take this heat.

John Deere Mom said...

Love your blog. How's the potty business going?

Swirl Girl said...

Angie- it's coming along. thanks for asking. We 'move' everyday now on the potty. I still need to stand there and listen (according to her)though. Tough love, baby - Tough love.

thanks for stopping by

Backpacking dad - cyber sneek!!
Mrs.R - the thrill seems to have worn off. How's camp?

Lula! said...

And now I have the name song in my head...darn you. But I did laugh at your supermarket story.

Still singing the name game, though. Darn you again.

One Crazy Chick! said...

Ya big babies. You have AC.

HAHAHA!

When that kind of heat hits us? We melt.

leezee52 said...

I saw your comment on Carrie's blog...so you're M.O.T...me too. There is a huge Jewish community in the Seattle area.

Robin said...

Thank you so much for the kind words on my blog. It really means a lot :-)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets stuck between the bitter cashier and the acne prone bag boy! Kung Fu Panda was cute..Pip loved it.

Robin said...

PS. I am so sorry to hear about your father. My sincerest condolences.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I just found your blog and am laughing out loud at your reply to that email. I have been getting odd offers like that lately too. But I must say, that is the funniest response letter EVER!